Wednesday 16 September 2009

Some Practical Advice For Those About to Undergo Open Heart Surgery

So here is some practical advice for those of you getting ready to enter the hospital for heart surgery. In the week before going into the hospital take a few minutes to have a hair cut. I know, not very high on your priorities but once you go into the hospital you can pretty well count on being laid up for a few weeks at least. The simple things like showering and ordinary grooming will be tough until your incisions heal and you won't be able to drive for six weeks or so. Anyway, I didn't get a haircut and wished I had. I was pretty shaggy by the time I was able to drive myself to the barber shop.

What to take to the hospital?

For clothing I took a week's worth of boxer shorts,two pairs of cotton pajamas, a house coat and a pair slippers. The pajamas should be a little larger than you might normally wear so that they don't bind and rub against your incisions.

I wish I had thought to get those slippers with no backs that you just step into instead of the shoe style ones. The first time I tried to get out of bed for a walk, putting on the slippers was an ordeal. Trust me on this, get the ones with open backs that you can slip on without bending down.

In my wash bag I took a hair brush, a razor, shaving cream, floss, tooth paste and a toothbrush.

Having spent some time in salmon fishing camps with other middle aged men, I also brought some ear plugs. I'm not sure if there is any such thing as a private room when in Cardiac ICU or a Cardiac Recovery Ward. I was in a room with five other people, all of us within a few days of a heart attack or some other major event leading to open heart surgery. It was noisy and active 24 hours a day.

Things I wished I had brought: a Walkman type music player with headphones and a radio. I think a couple of "talking books" would have helped to pass the time more pleasantly. I found it uncomfortable to hold a book and the drugs made it hard to focus anyway. Some hard candies to keep my mouth moist would have been nice too.

There are many other more important things you have to think about as you are about to undergo this life changing event but I hope this helps a little.

1 comment:

  1. In the cases of heart attack and cardiac arrest, or any other heart shocks, time sets to be the most crucial factor for the survival of the patient. Sometimes, a little knowledge regarding the immediate actions to be taken may help your near and dear ones to survive in such incidents. The response a person takes to treat a victim decides the probability of his/her survival. Its been my personal experience fighting to survive against a heart attack. A quick reorganization of your bodily responses may increase your chances of survival. Because of having many heart problems, I was enrolled in a concierge Healthcare program from elite health. I was attacked by a severe heart attack in a party, luckily surrounded by many people. Some of the sudden changes in my body was recognized by me and anticipated immediately. I got a very severe chest pain which was almost unbearable for more than a minute. I got the suspicion that I might be having heart attack, and immediately called my physician on the phone, and explained my condition and its severity. Because of the immediate guidance, I was directed immediately to have an aspirin which I used to carry with me as prescribed by my physician. It was quite a frightening experience for me to face such a heart attack, but somehow I managed to be calm until 911 arrived. I was immediately taken to the nearest hospital, where already my physician were present and have got everything setup according to my medical history. And it was in some matter of seconds that everything was in control. A doctor, who already have the complete knowledge of the medical history and fitness of the person, extra ordinarily ameliorate your recovery process. Hence such a concierge level program from Elite health, helped me a save my life, like many others.

    ReplyDelete