Friday 4 September 2009

Major Leaguer Returns from Heart Surgery

I read today about a Major League ball player, Aaron Boone, who had open heart surgery in March and is returning to play his first game in the Majors this Wednesday.

My hat is off to him.What sheer guts and determination. He was not just getting well enough to function in normal life. He was getting well enough to function as an elite athlete.

Awesome eh? I guess there is hope for we mere mortals as well. What an inspiring story.

On a sadder note, my old cat, Marius has been pretty sick. We took him to the Vet today and his heart and kidneys are failing. The Vet said we should just take him home and make his final days as comfortable as we can. We will know when it is time to bring him back to the clinic.

Although it is his heart that is causing problems, cats almost never have heart attacks. It is more often something else that will bring about the end.

Poor old Marius. What a great cat he has been. I'm sad but philosophical. He is somewhere between 14 and 16 years old, having come to us as a full grown cat. That was more than twelve years ago.

Steps today: 8,987

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about your cat. I have always found that losing a pet, (we've lost 4 dogs) is just like losing a family member. However, I am sure he had a wonderful life with you, and he knows he is loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Donna,

    Thanks for your kind words. Poor old Marius is still hanging on. He doesn't seem to be in any pain but his breathing is pretty ragged and he is losing a lot of weight. He is still eating and purring though and still is his sweet old self.

    How are you folks doing? Is your husband starting to feel any better? I guess you will both be learning a lot about your new reality.

    My Thoughts are with you both,

    Steve

    ReplyDelete