Monday 20 July 2009

The Day of Heart Bypass Surgery

Luckily we had made the decision to spend the night in a hotel just across the street from the hospital. It had stormed all night and the roads were really a mess. I got up at 4:00 AM, showered, then used the special antibiotic for one more good cleaning of my chest, groin and legs.

Truth be told, my memory is vague about what actually happened that day. I remember the quality of the light and the feel of the cold on my skin but I don't remember walking across the street to the hospital or whether we were able to drive. There are funny gaps in my memory about the whole process.

One way or the other I found myself registering in the cardiac clinic at 5:00 AM on the morning of Monday, December the 22nd. Because of my pre-admission clinic the past Friday, things should have gone smoothly but due to the weather, things were a bit confused.

They couldn't seem to find my paperwork although my name was on the surgery schedule. It was just that someone was running late and hadn't logged onto their computer yet but to me it seemed to amplify my stress.

I couldn't bear the thought of leaving and having to reschedule this whole thing. The decision was to carry on as if everything was normal and when the administrative staff got through the snow, it would all be straightened out.

They showed me to a room to change into a Johnny shirt and my things were put into a bag for my wife to look after. I didn't know which way was front or back but trust me, it isn't a very pretty sight whichever way it goes on.

When I was changed they led me to a gurney and laid me down behind a screen. Within minutes another of the cheerful young women that populate hospitals showed up to shave my chest and other areas yet again.

My wife, Laura tells a story of another person sitting in the waiting room. He was being admitted to have a spinal fusion operation. As they pulled the curtains around my gurney he leaned over and nudged his companion.

"He's having open heart surgery" he whispered. They both cringed and said "ugh!" in perfect unison.

It strikes me as funny because the thought of spinal surgery makes me cringe, even after what I've been through.

Any way, at some point I was given a sedative to relax me while I waited for things to begin. Also at some point the admitting nurse popped her head in to tell me that the pre-admission clinic had sent along my paperwork and things were all good to go.

Laura and I chatted while we waited but I was slowly fading into oblivion. An IV must have been inserted because I remember looking at the baby blue plastic collar on the needle and wondering who decided what colour they should be. The rest is gone until I woke up in Post-Op.

Laura tells me I missed a lot of comings and goings but in truth, the last lucid memory I have of that day is being shaved by the cheerful young woman who some how knew either me or my parents or something. I never did get it sorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment