Sunday 17 January 2010

Smarter Heart Medications Are on the Way

Last week I read about a study done recently that identified more than a dozen genes that control the rate of our heart beat. After comparing the genetics of tens of thousands of people from European and Indian descent, researchers were able to isolate these genes. If you have certain combinations of them you are more or less likely to have heart conditions involving arrhythmia. Arrhythmia is an irregular heart beat.



Anyway, this discovery is the sort of thing that can lead to smart drugs that target specific conditions more effectively and efficiently. It is important because heart disease according to the report I read, kills almost seven million people a year. Half of those people suffer from some form of irregular heart beat.

On another note, I bought a treadmill the other day and have been using it with some regularity. Sorry for the bad pun but just trying to stick with the theme of this post. I bought a Tempo 611T as pictured above.

It was a work out just getting the thing in the house, down a flight of stairs and then wrestling it out of the box and assembling it but it seems well worth it.

The streets and side walks are icy and treacherous for walkers in this part of the world at this time of year so it is nice to get my ten thousand steps in the comfort of my home. It is pleasant to be able to walk away the stress of the day while reading or watching TV and without having to cope with sub-zero temperatures. I do miss the human parade of dog walkers, joggers and fellow heart walkers but spring will eventually come and I can resume my lakeside promenades.

My daughter is trying to teach one of the dogs to use it but he much prefers going out. If you have been thinking about getting one and have a good spot for it in your house I'd recommend it.

Steps today: 5,654 so far but I've been averaging around 11 to 12 thousand since getting the treadmill.

No comments:

Post a Comment